Nicolas is one of the founding partners of Kalliopé. He co-manages the Litigation – Arbitration – Mediation and Contract drafting and negotiation teams, and is also part of the Energy and infrastructure team.
He has 20 years of experience in both advisory and litigation work.
He assists a large variety of companies of differing sizes: large groups, SMEs/mid-caps and start-ups, and represents them before civil, commercial and criminal courts, as well as in internal and international arbitration proceedings.
He also advises his clients in the negotiation and drafting of complex contracts.
Nicolas offers a full range of cross-functional services and a wealth of experience that enables him to provide pragmatic and efficient solutions.
Although he works in many sectors, Nicolas has particular expertise in the Energy and infrastructure sector.
Litigation – Arbitration – Mediation
Contract drafting and negotiation
Energy and infrastructure
Business law litigation
- unfair competition
- sudden termination of established commercial relationships
- tort and contractual liability
- product liability
- disputes between partners
- post-acquisition disputes and implementation of asset and liability guarantees
- industrial claims
- legal expertise
- debt recovery
Negotiation and drafting of commercial contracts
- distribution contracts, franchise, commercial agency, exclusive and selective distribution
- sale and service agreements
- contracts in the energy and infrastructure sector: EPC, O&M, industrial partnerships, etc.
Internal and international arbitration
- drafting of arbitration clauses and arbitration agreements
- ad hoc and institutional, internal and international arbitration
- appointment of arbitrators
- monitoring of the procedure (procedural documents, procedural issues, pleadings)
- recourse against arbitral awards
- enforcement of arbitral awards
Criminal Business Law
- assistance with preliminary investigations
- assistance with criminal investigations
- assistance with judgment hearings
- Since 2008 Partner, founder of Kalliopé, Paris
- 2004-2007 Lawyer, Racine, Paris
- 2002-2004 Lawyer, Bredin Prat, Paris
- 2001-2002 Avocat, De Pardieu Brocas Maffei, Paris
- 1999-2000 Legal attaché of the French Embassy, Brussels
- 2000 CAPA
- 1999 Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne University, Magistère in Economic Activities Law, Valedictorian
- 1999 Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne University, Postgraduate degree (DEA) in Business Law
- 1999 Louvain-la-Neuve University, Specialised graduate degree (DES) in Economic Law
- 1995 Paris Business College (ESC) – Management and Finance
Nicolas carries out numerous Pro Bono missions with the many individuals that are deprived of useful access to justice; particularly in rural areas : consultations, litigation follow-up and mediation.
- Representing the eco-organisation, Eco-Mobilier, in litigation proceedings against the liquidators of its debtor and obtaining immediate payment of its debts which arose after the opening judgment of the collective proceedings.
- Representation of an investment fund owning a biomass cogeneration plant, in the context of a legal expertise relating to the shutdown of the plant in relation to damage affecting the turbine producing the electricity.
- Regular assistance on problems encountered by a RE developer, in the context of the development of its wind or photovoltaic projects and the management of its contracts with its suppliers.
- Representation of a leading group in the energy sector in the context of its various business law disputes (industrial claims, conflicts between partners, breach of contract, contractual non-performance, post-acquisitions litigation, etc.).
- Representation of a developer of renewable energy projects in a dispute initiated by a minority shareholder concerning the nullity of deeds concluded for the development of the project.
- Representation of an eco-organism regarding all disputes against companies which have not honoured the payment of invoices issued by our client.
- Representation of a leading group in the waste treatment sector in the general context of its various disputes in business law (industrial claims, conflicts between partners, breach of contract, contractual non-performance, etc.).
- Representation of a leading French retailer (mass retail) in a post-cartel compensation dispute on the hygiene and cleaning products market.
- Assistance to a natural person victim of a breach of trust.
- Representation of a platform that connects young freelancers with companies in a criminal case (investigation) based on a complaint from a professional association, as well as in a dispute with a competitor accusing it of unfair competition and requesting the termination of its activities.
• Training within EFE in business criminal law.
- Nicolas Contis and Julie Gayrard, “Res judicata and occurrence of new facts”, ILO, 25 October 2016.
- Nicolas Contis and Julie Gayrard, “The nullification of judicial expert reports”, ILO, 31 May 2016.
- Nicolas Contis and Julie Gayrard, “Invoking the nullity of a court-appointed expert’s report”, JCP G, 1 February 2016.
- Numerous articles published on the Lexology web media: Lexology